Feb 10, 2009

Market Days



The Negley third grade class is studying economics and hosted a market day for the elementary students. They had to come up with a product or service to market and sell, set up their booth (desk) and sell their goods/services to the various classes. Noah chose to make and sell brownies. He made his sign, helped me find a good recipe, helped me bake them, and package them up in clear wrap with gold curly ribbon. He also wanted to sprinkle them with powdered sugar to "make them different":) I convinced him to carry this picnic basket I found at a garage sale and to sell them out of the basket with his sign attached. He sold each brownie (we made them BIG) for 50 cents each. We made 25 brownies and he sold every one! He says he wishes we would have made more because he ran out early:) They learned about the amount of work that goes into starting a business, start up costs, making a profit, the importance of advertising, and paying taxes. All of the money they made will go into the third grade fund and they will vote on what to do with it, like have an end of year party or buying something for the school. I thought it was a great idea for the school to give the third graders this learning experience and I know Noah will always remember it.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I am sad that his basket didn't make it to my door. :-D