Mar 30, 2009

Dangerous Invasion....

The other morning as we stepped outside to take the boys to school, we found this cute baby bunny on the back patio, shaking and looking so lost:( Noah picked it up and we took it over to the side of the fence to set it free. A few days before, a friend of mine one street over from our house had a strikingly different encounter on her back patio. She came in from work in the evening to find a snake slithering around on a pile of rocks they had on their patio. Upon further inspection, she recognized its diamond shaped pattern and saw a small set of rattles on its tail. Her hubby came to the rescue and the snake is toast, but in our neighborhood newsletter it warns that rattlesnakes have been spotted on her street, my street, and two streets on either side of us.....SCARY!! My other friend found a rat snake in her yard last week too, although those I wasn't too worried about, but RATTLESNAKES????!!!!! I mean, I know they exist around us...but this seems crazy that they seem to be overtaking our corner of the subdivision...I'm scared to let the girls play outside in the grass, in our own backyard! Randy says its because of the construction going on nearby our side of the neighborhood, and it's spring, so they are all out and about looking for food. SO, it make me think of the bunny in our backyard and how this part of the neighborhood is overrun by bunnies too. You can't even drive down our back alley at night or early morning without seeing bunnies scatter everywhere. Sometimes even during broad daylight, they just hop right out in the yard or hop right down the street! I've never seen so many bunnies....then it hit me....all the bunnies having babies equals a feast for the large reptiles in close proximity to the boom....aaaagggghhhhh. Got. To. Keep. Bunnies. Away. That poor baby bunny you see in the pic probably ended up as dinner:( And anyone who knows my husband is aware of his one fear and giant phobia........SNAKES!! ANY snake, but he about lost all color when he found out venomous snakes were seen all around us. Now he won't walk out of the house without first kicking, banging, rattling, and yelling at the door in hopes of "scaring" the snake waiting patiently just outside the door ready to strike him down. Before he goes to the bathroom, I've seen him carefully inspect the toilet bowl as if a serpent could be waiting for him there ready to swim up and bite him? He even keeps going in to work late in the morning, with the excuse that he is staying to help get the kids off to school, but I'm secretly wondering if it's just because he doesn't want to leave when it's still dark...hmmmmm. It's a sight to behold, that's for sure...the man is deathly afraid of snakes and over the years it seems to have created this "snake karma" that follows him wherever he goes. He has had more personal encounters with snakes, just by happenstance, than anyone I know! He's even stepped right on top of a snake.....TWICE! I could tell you so many good stories, and probably have if you know me well...hehehe:) The poor guy...just hope either the bunnies move on and the snakes follow them...or the snakes eat them all up and go back to where they came from, because I know...heaven forbid we find a snake in the house....we will be moving! Broken lease and all he would NOT come back....so pray that doesn't happen!!! :)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

Tell Randy to move his family closer down here -- no snakes this direction. (except for the tiny dried up garter snake Josh found in the road the other day)

Maren and Dustin said...

Dustin has a phobia of snakes too! He told me that rattlers can go as far as 2 miles from their den in search of food! Yikes... we are not far enough away! Keep your grass cut short and a close eye on your kids!

Jen said...

Oh man - just imagining Randy yelling and banging around to scare off the snakes. That made my day! ;)

LaSchelle and Kurt said...

Oh you can't believe how hard I'm laughing! Oh Randy..........you just gotta love that guy! I would pay money to see him and a snake! I'm still picturing the call he had when he had to put the snake in a bin and let it loose! Hysterical

I'm just wondering why you didn't keep the bunny! :-)

Susan said...

That is Russell too! It's the "Indiana Jones" complex, I tell ya.