Mar 11, 2009

Dental Drah-Ma and an EXTRA dose of Drah-Ma...

So on Saturday night, we awoke to the screams and whines of our youngest daughter, Emberlyn. After many attempts at deciphering what was bothering her, she finally revealed her tooth was hurting:( She has a cavity on the bottom left in one of her molars that we've known about since her last dentist appointment, but since she was only two and a half, they wanted to put her under general anesthesia to fill the tooth. I wasn't comfortable with that and asked if we could wait six months or so and try again, thinking maybe she would mature just enough to sit through the procedure. The dentist agreed and said we were taking a chance, that hopefully it didn't become infected or painful before her next visit. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best, but we didn't make it....or so I thought. Let me also preface this by saying that this is her only cavity and all my other children have really healthy teeth, with maybe a tiny cavity here or there over the past twelve and a half years. Never had a kid with this large of a cavity before, it makes us feel terrible as parents that we didn't prevent it and keep it from getting bigger:( Anyway, I called Monday morning and made an emergency appointment with our pediatric dentist. We took her in (Randy met me there) and could not believe the difference a few months makes!!! She was a little apprehensive at first, but nothing a little bribery couldn't fix;) She let them clean her teeth, examine them, and even let them take x-ray pics!! We are so proud of her, I can't even begin to tell you the ordeal we had last time we took her in. The difference was like night and day! (they prescribed her antibiotics and we have to take her back to be sedated for the root canal/crown or extraction, whichever they end up doing)

Now for the DRAH-MA! Ok, so after the appointment it's like 1:30 and Randy met me there with his truck. He's like, you take her straight home and I will take the prescription to Wal-Mart to have it filled. Oh, and since we are both starving, you should call us in some grilled chicken sandwhiches at Chili's (which is right by our Wal-Mart) and I will pick them up after I get her script. Sounds great!! This day is actually turning out not to be so bad. So I'm following him along the highway and just after I turn on Brodie and he kept going straight, I hear the dreaded stomach-lurching-upheaval sound coming from behind me. I pull over on the side of the road and get her out of the car seat, all the while she is continually wretching and gagging. I manage to pull my cell phone out and call Randy who turns around and arrives as I'm trying to wipe her up. We had to take her dress off...note, the pretty dress she is wearing in her pics...totally ruined, even if I could get the stains out, the bad karma associated with the "puke dress" is enough to keep me from ever dressing her in it again. Her car seat is unsavable. Which is actually a good thing, since I've been wanted to buy a new one anyway, so Randy pulls it out of the car and throws it into the back of his truck to dump later. We switch her over to Avelyn's car seat (Avelyn is at my friend Jessica's house), and say our goodbyes again. I call Jess and tell her to have Avelyn waiting at the curb, cause I'm in the puke car and my daughter is naked...no time to stop! Pick up Avelyn, finally get home and Emmy is hungry so I make her a light snack (she hasn't eaten since breakfast and of course her tummy is growling having emptied itself of all its contents earlier). At this point, I'm getting ready to shower both me and Emmy, slightly wondering where my husband is, as he should be getting home soon with our lunch and Emmy's medicine. Just then, my phone rings with an unfamiliar number showing on the call display. I say hello, and it's my lovely husband telling me that he made it to Wal-Mart, but that there is a slight problem. When he parked and went to get out of the truck, a gust of wind came along and blew the papers he had in his hands all over the parking lot. We're talking the dental papers and Emmy's prescription...it was very windy on Monday. So, off he goes...running here and there trying to trap down all the papers, looking like a crazy nut....finally gets them all gathered, walks back to his truck, only to realize that the wind blew his door shut...with his cell phone, wallet, and keys locked inside......HELLO.......Seriously?????!!!!! He had to walk inside, ask where the pay phone was, it was ripped out of the wall, so he had to walk over to the HEB and use the pay phone to call yours truly. He told me he called our insurance company and they were sending out Pop-A-Lock, but that it would take an hour and that our Chili's food needed to be picked up, as it had been an hour since we called. Unbelievable!! I had to dress the girls, two of us still unbathed, and pile them back into the reeking puke car to go pick up our now soggy chicken sandwhiches at Chili's. We got home just in time for the boys to walk through the door from school. Randy finally came home around 4pm, right in time to grab Noah for baseball practice. All this, and I didn't even have Americal Idol to look forward to Monday night!! That is why, yesterday, I swore I wasn't leaving my house and I was going to have a drama-free day, but that was not to be either. I'll spare you the details, but it involves a friends' sad news, a dog fight, the neighbors, swearing in front of children, flying remote controls, and formal statements to the Kyle Animal Control officer. Today is a new day, so........BRING IT ON!!!!!!

3 comments:

Jen said...

8O Oh my gracious!!!!!! Big hugs coming to you girl! Let me know if I can do anything for you!

The Mrs. and The Momma said...

Just chalk it up to Murphy's Law, huh? Hopefully the rest of the week will be better for y'all! Hugs!

Maren and Dustin said...

Oh dear. I heard it was crazy, but that was CRAZY! I was just thinking I need to take Carson to the dentist soon...not so sure I want to now!